Atlanta Wrongful Death Attorney – Protecting the Best Interests of Grieving Families
- Award-winning attorney Bryce Angell has been committed to serving the Atlanta community for year.
- The Angell Law Firm is proud to be considered one of the best personal injury law firms in Georgia.
- Our honest and aggressive attorneys have extensive legal resources, which help them win challenging cases.
- See what clients really think of our experienced lawyers by reading the glowing reviews on our website.
- Speak to a top lawyer on our team by calling our office and setting up a free consultation regarding your case.
There are many types of unexpected accidents that occur in Atlanta, and many of them can result in serious injuries and even death. Some examples include car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and slip and falls. In fact, any type of accident has the potential to result in death.
If someone is killed in an unexpected accident, the family of the deceased often has the legal right to file a wrongful death claim to seek compensation from the responsible party. If your loved one was killed in an accident, contact an Atlanta wrongful death lawyer at The Angell Law Firm right away.
Top Law Firms in Atlanta Explain Georgia’s Wrongful Death Laws
Georgia’s wrongful death statute O.C.GA 51-4-2 allows a decedent’s family members to file a lawsuit. The purpose of the lawsuit is to recoup money from the wrongful party for causing their loved one’s untimely death. The amount of money, or damages, may vary from family to family depending on the specific circumstances of the accident. The damages awarded in a wrongful death claim are meant to compensate the family for funeral expenses, burial expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim in Atlanta, GA?
After a loved one has passed away, many people may be in mourning. But, there are only certain people who are legally permitted to file a wrongful death claim. The surviving spouse is the first party that is allowed to file a claim. If there is no surviving spouse, then the victim’s surviving children may file the claim instead. Others who may file a claim include the following:
- then the victim’s siblings,
- then the victim’s nieces and nephews,
- then grandparents,
- and then their lineal descendants.
To determine if you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim, it is important to have a knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer on your side. Contact The Angell Law Firm today to get started.
How Lawyers Can Prove Liability in A Wrongful Death Claim
Regardless of who files the lawsuit, recovering compensation in a wrongful death claim requires proving certain elements. To obtain money from the negligent party responsible for victim’s death, the plaintiff must prove that:
- The defendant had a legal duty to protect the decedent from death. For example, drivers assume a legal duty to
- drive safely to protect others from death every time they get behind the wheel.
- The defendant breached that legal duty by causing the accident.
- The decedent’s death occurred because the legal duty was breached.
- The family members should be compensated by the defendant because their loved one suffered an untimely death.
What Types of Damages Can Attorneys Recover in Wrongful Death Cases?
Wrongful death claims can be complicated and confusing, which is why it is so important to have a wrongful death attorney in Atlanta, GA on your side. Let our skilled attorneys provide you with advice and help you with the legal aspects of this difficult time in your life. As the survivor of a loved one, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Georgia for the recovery of the following three different types of damages:
- Compensation for the loss of the loving relationship, companionship, and comfort. Spouses can also recover
- compensation for the loss of consortium of the decedent.
- Compensation for the loss of the services the decedent would have provided in the household in the future.
- Compensation for the loss of the financial support that the deceased provided to the family members prior to his or her death.
Contact A Skilled Lawyer At The Angell Law Firm to Schedule A Free Case Evaluation
If your family member’s untimely death was caused by the negligence of another, you have the right to sue to seek full compensation for his or her death. Contact the experienced wrongful death attorneys at The Angell Law Firm, LLC for help. Our attorneys have years of experience representing clients in many practice areas, including product liability, premises liability, slip and fall claims, and traffic accidents.
To schedule a free consultation, please call our office at (770) 217-4954 or fill out the online form on our website. An attorney at law will review your case during this consultation, answer your legal questions, and discuss your legal options.