Car Accident Do's & Don't
If you have been involved in a car accident in or around Atlanta, is important that you do certain things immediately following that accident. It is equally important that you not do certain other things that could potentially expose you to liability or other negative circumstances.
Anyone who has been involved in a car accident in Atlanta needs to get in touch with an Atlanta car accident lawyer immediately. Below is a list of do's and don'ts for anyone who has been involved in a car accident.Do's:
- Do Stop: If you've been in an accident, you must stop. Failure to stop is a crime.
- Do think about safety: If you've been in an accident, stand in a safe place and move your car to a safe place. If it is raining or nighttime, turn on your lights as well as your hazards.
- Do call the police: You should call the police if you've been in a car accident.
- Do exchange information with the other party: It is ok to give your name, address, VIN number, license and insurance information to the other party. Make sure you collect the same information from them.
- Do talk to witnesses: Get the names, address and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Do take notes: Take your own notes of the accident and write in your own words what happen. This should be done while it is fresh in your mind.
- Do take pictures: It is a good idea to take picture of the accident scene. You can do this if you have a camera with you or use your cell phone. Be mindful of safety and do not obstruct traffic of put yourself in a dangerous position.
- Do call The Angell Law Firm: If the accident was not your fault and you or someone you know was injured, the Atlanta car accident lawyers at The Angell Law Firm can protect your rights.
- Don't Leave: Don't leave the scene of the accident. It is ok to leave via ambulance if you are seriously injured and the police have not come yet. It is also ok to leave via ambulance with someone else that is injured. Other than that, you should remain at the accident scene.
- Don't wait to seek medical attention: If you've been involved in a car accident, seek medical attention right away, don't wait to see if you pain will go away.
- Don't obstruct traffic: In Georgia, you can move out of the way, do not obstruct traffic more than necessary.
- Don't talk a lot: At the scene of the accident, don't do a lot of talking about the accident. Cooperate with the police and only talk to the police about the accident. Be honest but avoid making admissions or guessing.
- Don't discuss your case with an insurance adjuster: The insurance adjuster may call you after the accident. Don't speak with him her until you speak with an attorney.
Need help for your car accident-related injury? Please contact the car accident serving Atlanta at The Angell Law Firm by calling 800-497-4913.