Soft Tissue Injuries
Some of the most common injuries suffered by victims of car crashes and slip and fall accidents are soft tissue injuries, which are usually caused by over-stressing a tendon, ligament, or muscle. Many soft tissue injuries heal within a matter of a few weeks with regular icing and rest. Others, however, require physical therapy and in severe cases, even surgery. Treating even minor soft tissue injuries can quickly become expensive, so if you were injured in an accident in Morgan County that was the result of another person’s negligence, it is important to contact an experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyer who can help you seek compensation for your medical expenses.Types of Soft Tissue Injuries
Soft tissue injuries occur when a person’s tendons, ligaments, or muscles are strained or torn and are usually caused by some type of trauma. For example, many acute soft tissue injuries are caused by sudden impacts, such as a fall, a violent blow to the body, or an abrupt twisting motion. Some of the most common examples of soft tissue injuries include:
- Bruises, which occur when blood vessels and muscle fibers are damaged;
- Strains, which are caused by the over-stressing of the tendons that attach muscles to bone and result in cramping, severe pain, muscle spasms, and weakness; and
- Sprains, which occur when the ligaments that reinforce the joints are torn or damaged and can cause a joint to become nonfunctional.
With these types of injuries, an accident victim can expect to experience pain, swelling, and bruising, as well as restricted range of motion. In most cases, these symptoms abate within one to six weeks with icing, rest, and physical therapy. However, the rate at which injuries heal also depends on the severity of the injury and the age and health of the injured party. If you have been injured in an accident, reach out to a personal injury attorney in Atlanta.Treatment For Soft Tissue Injuries
Those suffering from soft tissue injuries are often encouraged to take specific steps, including:
- Gently stretching the affected area to help minimize stiffness;
- Performing gentle exercises to help increase muscle strength and improve joint flexibility;
- Taking anti-inflammatory medications as directed;
- Following up with a doctor;
- Resting and avoiding strenuous activities immediately following the accident;
- Icing for 15 minutes every one to two hours in the immediate aftermath of the accident; and
- If possible, elevating the injured limb above the level of the heart.
Severe soft tissue injuries can make even routine movements extremely painful and some victims may even need to take prescription pain medications until the injury begins to heal. This is especially true for those who must undergo surgery to reattach a tendon or ligament. Others may require physical therapy to regain flexibility and strength.
Call us Today to Speak With an Experienced Morgan County Personal Injury Attorney Serving Atlanta
Soft tissue injuries may seem like minor injuries when compared to other more serious injuries, like traumatic brain injuries or broken bones, which can take a long time to heal. A victim with a soft tissue injury caused by the negligence of another still deserves financial compensation.
If you live in Luthersville or somewhere else in Morgan County and suffered a soft tissue injury in an accident caused by another person’s negligent or reckless behavior, please call the Angell Law Firm at (770) 217-4954 to speak with an experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyer today.