Drowsy Driving Accidents
Located in the west central portion of the state in Lamar County, Milner is a small railroad town characterized by quaint walkways, parks, and recreation areas. Although a relatively quiet area, residents of Lamar County still travel the busy roads of the Atlanta area and so are also at-risk of being involved in drowsy driving accidents. These types of accidents can cause especially serious injuries that can be prohibitively expensive to treat, so if you live in Lamar County and were recently injured in a car crash that you have reason to believe was caused by another driver falling asleep at the wheel, it is crucial to speak with an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney who can address your questions.Fatigued Drivers
Any driver can suffer from fatigue while driving, especially when on long road trips. Certain drivers, however, are more at-risk of falling asleep at the wheel than others, including drivers who:
- Travel long distances for their jobs;
- Suffer from sleep disorders;
- Work long or irregular hours;
- Do not have a regular sleep schedule;
- Drive between 12:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.;
- Take medications that cause drowsiness; and
- Have recently consumed alcohol, even if a small amount.
Injuries sustained in crashes caused by drowsy drivers are often especially serious because they usually occur unexpectedly and at high speeds. Some of the most common injuries in the Atlanta area include:
- Rib fractures caused by seat belts;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Broken or crushed knees;
- Facial fractures; and
Collecting compensation from the at-fault parties after a drowsy driving accident is especially important because treating crash-related injuries can be costly. However, those who can demonstrate that the crash was caused by someone else’s negligence may be able to collect compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future income, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. Proving this claim with the assistance of an injury lawyer will require the production of compelling evidence, including:
- Photographs of the scene of the accident;
- Measurements between skid marks;
- The responding police officer’s report;
- Witness statements; and
- The results of medical examinations.
Sometimes, despite a driver’s best efforts, he or she may begin experiencing fatigue while driving. Recognizing the following signs is one of the best way to avoid causing a crash:
- Drifting across lanes;
- Frequent blinking and yawning;
- Driving onto the shoulder of the road;
- Missing exits or traffic signs;
- Having difficulty focusing the eyes or remembering driving the last few miles.
After noticing any of these signs, a driver should pull over at a safe location for a brief nap. Drinking between one to two cups of coffee can also help increase alertness although only for a short amount of time.Contact a Dedicated Car Accident Attorney in Atlanta Today for a Free Case Evaluation
We are dedicated to helping our clients seek the compensation they deserve, so if you are a resident of Lamar County and you were recently involved in a drowsy driving accident, please contact the attorneys at the Angell Law Firm, LLC by calling (770) 217-4954 to speak with a knowledgeable and compassionate car accident lawyer today.