Toccoa Dog Bite Attorney – Helping Victims Move Forward After An Attack
- Bryce Angell is an award-winning attorney and proud member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association.
- The top attorneys at The Angell Law Firm are known for helping personal injury victims reach large settlements.
- Take a look at the reviews on our website to see why we are known as one of the best law firms in Georgia.
- Schedule a free consultation to speak with an honest and aggressive lawyer about your case today.
Dogs can be friendly, affectionate, and loyal. But unfortunately, dogs can also be unpredictable and aggressive. If a dog attacks, it can cause serious injuries that greatly impact the victim’s life. Fortunately, many dog bite victims are entitled to compensation for their injuries. If you have suffered a dog bite injury, speak to the dog bite attorneys at The Angell Law Firm at once.
Experienced Attorneys Explain the Dog Bite Laws in Georgia
Georgia law protects dog bite victims by establishing two ways that an animal owner can be held liable for injuries caused by their dogs:
- The “one bite rule”- the victim should show that the animal was dangerous, that the dog owner knew of the danger, and the owner failed to manage the animal or allowed it to run freely.
- The “ordinance rule”- requires proof that the animal was not at heel or controlled by a leash in compliance with local ordinances, and the dog owner failed to manage the animal or allowed it to run freely. This is a violation of the leash law. However, what constitutes a violation of the leash law will vary from county to county as leash laws are under the umbrella of county ordinances.
Georgia’s dog bite statute is considered more favorable to dog owners. This is due to the fact that in one of the two conditions, you have to prove that the dog was dangerous and the owner knew the dog was dangerous at the time of the bite. But, this does not mean that dog bite victims are out of luck. With the help of an attorney, dog bite victims can recover compensation for their injuries.
How Lawyers Recommend Preventing Dog Bite Attacks
The general goals for dog bite laws are to hold owners responsible for their animals and to prevent serious dog bite injuries. If you have an animal, you need to provide the necessary health care and training to control the animal. For instance:
- If you have a dog behind a fence, how secure is the fence? Has it been maintained? Is the gate secure? Would others be likely not to close the gate securely?
- If the dog is chained, how secure is the chain and collar?
- Do you have control of the animal when walking it, or does it need a muzzle?
- If your dog is a housedog, do you have measures in place to keep the dog from “darting” out the door when someone opens the door?
Dog owners that fail to take the necessary steps to prevent dog bites could be held liable if their dog attacks someone.
Contact The Angell Law Firm to Schedule A Free Consultation With A Skilled Lawyer
If you have been bitten by a dog, call an experienced attorney for dog bite victims at The Angell Law Firm at once. There’s no time to waste when it comes to taking legal action after a dog attack.
The Angell Law Firm represents clients in a number of different practice areas, including wrongful death, motorcycle accidents, car accidents, truck accidents, and slip and fall cases. During an initial consultation, a dog bite lawyer on our team will be more than happy to review your case and answer your legal questions. Please call our law office at (706) 223-3166 or fill out the online form on our website to get started today.