Slip and Fall
Atlanta Slip and Fall Attorney - Know Your Rights!
Why Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Did you know that slip and fall accidents account for over an estimated 16,000 deaths each year? Many of these accidents result in serious or permanent injuries to the victims. A slip and fall accident that causes serious injury or death as a result of a dangerous condition may entitle the victim or the victim's family to compensation.
Where Do Slip and Fall Injuries Occur?
Over 70% of the falls are the result of dangerous conditions and hazards that frequently occur from poor maintenance. Many of these hazards could been avoided if proper care was taken by the owner or manager of the location where the accident occured. Slip and Fall accidents, also called "trip and fall" accidents, may occur due to slipery or wet surfaces, poor maintenance of flooring, food spillage, or any other type of leakage that has not been cleaned up.
How Do Slip and Fall Injuries Occur?
In most cases a slip and fall injury results either from a victim falling forward or by a victim falling backwards. Both types of falls can result in serious harm or death. A similar type of accident can occur when your foot comes into contact with an object or obsticle along your path. This is known as a trip and fall.
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Injury?
- Get Medical Help For Your Injuries. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident you should seek medial treatment right away. You could worsten your injuries by waiting to get help. In severe case it may be necessary to call for an ambulance to prevent further injury. It is important for you to inform the medical provider of all pains or issues you are experiencing.
- Determine What Caused Your Slip and Fall. In order to be successfull in making a claim it will be important to know why the accident occured. Identify any witnesses present and take pictures of the scene where you were injured if you can. If possible, report the incident to the owner or manager of the location. By getting the owner or manager to write up a report it will prevent a later denial that the accident ever took place. The report should include the date and time, names of witnesses, as well any other information relating to the slip and fall.
- Contact An Experienced Slip and Fall Attorney. Since time is of the essence do not hesitate to contact an attorney for your case. A prompt investigation is vital to your case and the longer you wait, the less likely relevant facts may be discovered. An experienced slip and fall attorney (also called a trip and fall attorney) will assist you in finding the necessary medical treatment, preserve evidence of the accident, identify and locate witnesses, and initiate the proper steps in commencing your legal case.
Who Is Responsible for Your Slip & Fall injury?
Generally speaking, the property owner, manager, or operator are responsible for making their location safe for people. These are the most obvious operators but often times the person(s) responsible will be less obvious like service providers, franchisers, parent corporations, or government entities. Identifying the responsible party is a key factor in successfully pursuing a slip and fall case.
What Duty Does a Property Owner Owe Me?
A property owner is required by law to use reasonable care while managing and maintaining their premises. They have a duty to avoid exposing others to an unreasonable risk of harm such as dangerous or hazardous condionts that cause a slip and fall accident. Therefore, property owners have a duty to reasonably inspect for any unsafe conditions and repair them or warn others of the hazardous condition.
What Am I Entitled To?
If your slip and fall case was the result of the negligence by the property owner, manager, or operator, then you would have a legitimate claim for compensation for:
- Medical expenses for all past and future injuries
- pain and suffering
- lost wages,
- any reduction in your earning capacity.
Although punitive damages are uncommon in slip and fall case, they are possible if the property owner or manager egragiously ignored a know hazard or dangerous condition that subsequently caused the slip and fall accident.
How Do I Choose An Attorney For My Case?
When a slip and fall attorney handles your case you will become partners working towards a common goal. It is important that your attorney not only has the experience in slip and fall cases, but can communicate effectively with you and understand your unique situation. Pursuing an injury claim by yourself can be very frustrating. It is important to have an attorney you can trust to represent your interest to the fullest extent of the law.