Toccoa Dog Bite Attorney – Helping Victims Move Forward After They’ve Been Attacked
- Bryce Angell is an award-winning attorney and proud member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association.
- The top attorneys at The Angell Law Firm are known for helping personal injury victims reach large settlements.
- Take a look at the reviews on our website to see why we are known as one of the best personal injury law firms in Toccoa.
- Schedule a free consultation to speak with an honest and aggressive lawyer about your case today.
Dogs can be friendly, affectionate, and loyal. But unfortunately, dogs can also be unpredictable and aggressive. If a dog attacks, it can cause serious injuries that greatly impact the victim’s life. Fortunately, many dog bite victims are entitled to compensation for their injuries. If you have suffered a dog bite injury, speak to the dog bite attorneys at The Angell Law Firm at once.
Experienced Attorneys Explain the Dog Bite Laws in Georgia
In Georgia, the law aims to protect dog bite victims by establishing two ways in which a dog owner can be considered responsible for any injuries that its animals might have caused:
- The “one bite rule”- the victim should prove not only that the attacking animal was vicious, but also that the dog owner was aware of that fact, and that he or she had either failed to control the animal or allowed it to run freely.
- The “ordinance rule”- this one requires proof that the animal was not at heel or controlled by a leash (in compliance with local ordinances), and that the dog owner failed to manage the animal or allowed it to run freely. While this would be a violation of the “leash law”, each county has its own understanding of the exact situations that constitute a violation, because these types of laws are under the umbrella of county ordinances.
The laws of the state of Georgia tend to favor dog owners, when it comes to dog bites. In this state, dogs are considered as harmless “by default”. So, in order to get compensation for their injuries, dog bite victims have to provide proof of two situations: first, that the dog was dangerous, and secondly, that its owner was already aware of the dog’s aggressive tendencies when the bite took place. But, this does not mean that dog bite victims are out of luck. With the help of an attorney, dog bite victims can recover compensation for their injuries.
How Lawyers Recommend Preventing Dog Bite Attacks
The general goals for dog bite laws are to hold owners responsible for their animals and to prevent serious dog bite injuries. If you are in possession of an animal, it’s mandatory that you to provide the necessary health care as well as adequate training, to ensure that the animal is under control. For example, you should ask yourself:
- If your dog is behind a fence, are you sure of its security? Has the fence undergone any type of maintenance? Is the gate secure? Is the gate hard to close in a secure way?
- If you’re using a chain to secure your dog, how secure is it? And what about the collar?
- Does your animal need a muzzle when you’re walking it, or is it totally under your control?
- In the event that you have visitors, and your dog is inside the house, are you absolutely sure that it won’t run towards the street when someone opens the front door?
Dog owners that fail to take the necessary steps to prevent dog bites could be held liable if their dog attacks someone.
Take Advantage Of A Free Consultation With A Skilled Lawyer At The Angell Law Firm
If a dog has attacked you, call an experienced attorney for dog bite victims at The Angell Law Firm at once. There’s no time to waste when it comes to taking legal action after a dog attack.
The Angell Law Firm represents clients in a number of different practice areas, including wrongful death, motorcycle accidents, car accidents, truck accidents, and slip and fall cases. During an initial consultation, a dog bite lawyer on our team will be more than happy to review your case and answer your legal questions. Please call our law office at (706) 223-3166 or fill out the online form on our website to get started today.